Monday, 18 February 2008

Modigliani Show at Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum

Go to the Thyssen-Bornemisza art museum for a guided tour of the newly-opened exhibition “Modigliani and His Times” organised for the friends of the museum. I wasn't very keen, thinking it was all female nudes but it was very enlightening and much more interesting than I expected, with stone sculpture, portraits and even landscapes, in a variety of styles that reflect the diversity of art movements that were current while Modigliani lived in Paris. The guide was wonderful and knowledgable, talking continuously for an hour without notes. Unfortunately, it just whetted my appetite for more, leaving me feeling I needed had even more time to learn about the art and its history.

As is the custom at the museum, half the exhibition is staged at the “Casa de las Alhajas” run by the Caja Madrid savings bank, a former jewellery showroom converted into an exhibition space. I always mean to visit the other half of these exhibitions but never seem to get around to it.

The exhibition continues until 18 May 2008.

No comments: